Surveys deployed with Enketo:
- work offline
- have beautiful themes and widgets
- are printer-friendly
- can use very powerful skip and validation logic
- run on any device, mobile or desktop, as long as it has a fairly modern browser
Enketo is part of the OpenRosa/ODK ecosystem. This is great for 2 reasons:
- Enketo can be combined with other tools to flexibly create a full-fledged information management system. This has resulted in the adoption of Enketo into many systems. It also means that the Enketo Project can focus on just data collection and do this in the best way possible.
- Enketo does not require a long-term commitment by the user. In other words, it is not trying to get you hooked. A user can try out different data collection tools and with few headaches simply switch to an alternative in the future.
Read more about the ecosystem here.
Enketo was developed as a follow-up to a 2009 Masters Dissertation at the University of Liverpool on the 'Applicability of Offline-capable Web Technologies for Information Management in Humanitarian Aid'.
After a year of initial development, it was adopted by a lab at Columbia University and first launched in 2012. This was the start of a cascade of adoption by companies and organizations across the world.